Celebrating City Mission’s 200th Anniversary
As City Mission takes the next year to recognize “a good 200 years of good,” we want to celebrate the spirit of partnership that makes our work possible by inviting congregations, community organizations, and other friends to complete 200 Acts of Service over the next year. We’ll use this opportunity to connect with the great work of our congregational and nonprofit partners and continue this collective legacy of service forward. Anyone with an interest in serving others should participate; we hope you will read the information below and join us!
How it works
- Complete an act of service between now and March 2017. Take a photo of your work!
- “Like” City Mission’s page on Facebook
- Publish a post on your congregation’s or organization’s Facebook page (and/or your own) with the photo and the tag #CityMission200years200acts. If you don’t have Facebook, you can send your photo and a description of the act to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- City Mission will share highlights of the acts of service on its own Facebook page, keep track as we approach our goal of 200 acts, and celebrate the campaign at our anniversary gala in the spring of 2017.
What’s an act of service?
Over the past 200 years, service has taken many forms at City Mission. From teaching neighborhood children at Sabbath Schools in our early days to preventing homelessness in Boston’s families today service at City Mission has meant meeting the changing needs of our community in creative ways, while continually seeking opportunities that offer mutuality and empowerment. We hope that the 200 Acts of Service will be similarly diverse, and that you will use this call to deepen some act of service that you already do, or try something new. Read more about City Mission’s history by clicking here.
If you are stuck, here are some great places to start:
- Hold a fundraiser and contribute the funds to help City Mission support their ongoing programs.
- Host a sock drive and collect white socks that can be donated to City Mission for one of our partner agencies that serves the needs of people who are homeless.
- Collect items and assemble Spread the Joy bags or welcome baskets. See instructions here .
- Register a group to serve with Boston Immersion. More information here
- Coordinate a group to volunteer with one of our partner schools. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Make fleece scarves, blankets or hats to donate to those in need. We collect these items year round.
- Sign up to host a coat party for COAT BOSTON.
- To celebrate our 200th birthday consider celebrating your birthday by encouraging friends and family to donate to City Mission in your honor.
- Collect and donate non-perishable food items to City Mission which will be donated to the food pantry of the Chittick Elementary School.
- Collect backpacks and fill them with school supplies. These are donated to local schools so that children who are homeless will have the needed supplies.
You can find a flyer for the 200 Acts of Service campaign here.